Photo Name and Year Information

a photo of John Aldridge

1991 - 1997


John William Aldridge is a former Republic of Ireland international footballer and football manager. A return to Merseyside on 11 July 1991 with Tranmere Rovers was Aldridge's next step. He repaid the bargain price of £250,000 as he scored a club-record 40 goals in his first season at Prenton park- scoring his 40th goal against former club Oxford United. Aldridge made his debut for Rovers aged 32 on the 17 August 1991 scoring both the goals in the 2-0 victory over Brighton and Hove Albion at the Goldstone Ground. He eventually amassed a total of 294 appearances for the Birkenhead club scoring 174 goals, a goal every 1.7 games, including 22 goals from just 25 League Cup ties. His goals also helped them reach their highest position ever in the league - top-six finishes in the second tier in 1993, 1994 and 1995 - which delivered playoff victories each time, but all of them ended in semi-final defeats. This meant that Tranmere could not make it to the Premier League, and Aldridge missed out on the chance of a return to the top flight. At Tranmere, Aldridge also came close to the chance of winning another major trophy - something which would have been unthinkable at the club just a couple of years earlier - as they took Aston Villa to a penalty shoot-out in the 1993-94 League Cup semi-finals before bowing out to the eventual competition winners. Coincidentally, Villa had tried to sign Aldridge 18 months before turning their attention to Dean sanders (the player who had replaced him at Oxford a few years earlier) instead. During his career in England alone he played 739 games, scoring 411 times, an incredible goal every 1.8 games. In 1996, he became player-manager of Tranmere, finally giving up playing and concentrating on the management side two years later. In 889 career appearances, he scored a record 476 goals, a tally not matched by any goalscorer in post-war English football to this day. Tranmere were involved in some memorable runs and giant-killing acts in cup competitions, including reaching the 2000 Football League Cup Final(which they lost to Leicester City) and consecutive FA Cup quarter-finals in 2000 and 2001. However, they were relegated into English football's third tier in 2001, where they have since remained. Aldridge resigned in March 2001 just before Rovers went down, and has yet to return to management. In 2006 he gained media celebrity in Ireland by appearing in RTE’s Charity You’re a star competition. Despite not having a natural singing voice, John won the competition and in the process raised money for his nominated charity Temple Street Children's Hospital.

Return to top



Kevin Sheedy Since retiring from playing, Sheedy has been assistant manager at Tranmere Rovers (and a short spell as joint-caretaker-manager) and Hartlepool United. He joined Everton's coaching staff in July 2006, where he coaches the Academy team.

In late August 2012 Sheedy was diagnosed with bowel cancer.

Return to top

this is a photo of Phil Babb Phil


Phil Babb joined Tranmere Rovers on lone in 2000 when he fell out of favour with then manager Gérrard Houllier. Before leaving the club for Sporting Cub de Portugal on a free In August 2000 Phil was ordered home from the Irish squad after appearing in court accused of criminal damage causing a breach of the peace and being drunk and disorderly. Phil earned 35 full international caps including four complete matches at the 1994 World Cup in America as Ireland reached the last 16.he hung up his international boots after the Euro 2004 qualifier against Russia in Moscow. He came on in the 85th minute and diverted the ball pat Irish goalkeeper Shay Given Ireland lost 4:2

Return to top


1956 - 1957

Clinton began his career at Dundalk in his native Ireland before joining Everton in March 1948. He made 80 appearances for Everton (73 League and 7 FA Cup appearances) scoring 5 goals (4 League and 1 FA Cup). After eight seasons at Goodison Park, Clinton was sold to Blackburn Rovers in April 1955, where he played only six games. He subsequently signed for Tranmere Rovers in July 1956, where he finished his professional career. At international level, Clinton appeared three times for the Republic of Ireland between 1951 and 1954.

Return to top

This is a photo of david Kelly

ned kelly

1997 - 1998

It is rare that a much-travelled player become revered by several clubs, but that says a good deal about the David Kelly ‘effect’. Apart from becoming the only Sunderland player ever to be welcomed back to St James park with spontaneous applause, Ned (as he is known throughout the game) has not only scored goals just about everywhere he went but his chirpy character seems to have a galvanising effect on his teammates.
After a career that started with Walsall and included stop off points at West ham United, Leicester City, Newcastle United, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Sunderland, ‘Ned’ succumbed to former Ireland teammate John Aldridge’s persuasive power and signed for Rovers in August 1997 for a fee of £350,000. Despite being fairly lightly built and standing just short of 6ft tall, Ned was an excellent target man, being both mobile and intelligent with his selfless running, and very quickly he established himself as a firm crowd favourite. A Republic of Ireland international with 26 capes to his name (3 of them while at Rovers) Kelly scored 36, often important, goals for rovers but one in particular will be remembered by Tranmere fans everywhere. With 10 –men rovers trailed 1:0 to a Matt Elliott’s header in the 2000 Worthington Cup Final – the last Final played at the old Wembley Stadium – Kelly ran onto a Gary Jones flick to hammer a superb goal past Tim Flowers at his near post and send 29,000 Rovers fans into raptures. The leading goal scorer in the 2000 League cup competition, with 8 goals, Kelly deserved more then just a losers’ medal.
He left on a ‘free’ for Sheffield United later in 2000 but returned 2 years later as assistant manager to Ray Mathias and is generally credited with turning around Tranmere’s fortunes. However just as suddenly as he came back ‘Ned’ walked out on his contract to rejoin the blades in the same capacity. He is now at Nottingham Forrest, again being named as assistant manager on 1 January 2009. He was born in Birmingham, England but chose to play for the Republic of Ireland due to his ancestry, picking up 26 caps and scoring 9 goals (including a hat trick on his debut against Israel). His most famous goal for Ireland came in a February 1995 friendly clash against England in which Ireland won 1–0, with Kelly scoring just before the half hour mark. The game was abandoned shortly thereafter due to a riot started by right-wing extremists amongst the English fans. His goal was wiped from the record books as the match was put down as abandoned.

Return to top

1979 - 81

John Kelly was the son of former Tranmere Rovers manager Noel Kelly, John established himself as a stylish midfielder in the lower divisions after joining Tranmere from neighbours Cammell Laird in September 1979 Kelly made two appearances for the Republic of Ireland Under 21's, a nation he was eligible to represent as his father was born in Ireland.

Return to top

1955 - 1957

Noel Kelly moved to Crystal palace in March 1950 and signed for Nottingham Forest in August 1951, where he won his one and only cap for the Republic of Ireland, against Luxemburg in 1954. In July 1955 he moved to Tranmere Rovers to become player-manager, but his tenure was unsuccessful and brief, with Rovers having to apply for re-election to the League in 1957. He left Tranmere in 1957 and did not work in football again, as he ran a sports clothes shop on the Wirral. He died in 1991. Noel's son John followed in his footsteps by playing for Tranmere Rovers and several other clubs.

Return to top

this is a photo of Jeff Kenna Jeff

Jeffrey Jude Kenna was born in Dublin, but began his club career in England. In 2001, after falling out of favour at Blackburn Rovers he had spells on loan to Tranmere Rovers

Return to top

this is a photo of Jason Mcateer

Jason Wynne McAteer (born 18 June 1971 in Birkenhead, England is a former football player, who represented the Republic of Ireland at international level. He announced his retirement from professional football on 12 June 2007. Left without a club for the majority of the close season, he then made the decision to head back to Birkenhead, signing a two-year deal with Tranmere Rovers, hoping to play out his career with his hometown club, and trained as a coach ready to embark on a career in that department after his retirement. He was made club captain by manager Brian Little, skippering the side to the League One, play-off semi-finals, where they eventually lost on penalties to Hartlepool United. He was released by Tranmere in May 2007 and announced his retirement shortly afterwards. McAteer is widely remembered in Ireland for his part in a televised Head & Shoulders advertising campaign in which he promoted the product whilst in the shower, and a subsequent campaign for Carlsberg when he dreamed about scoring the winning goal in the World Cup. McAteer scored the goal at Lansdowne Road when the 10 man Republic of Ireland team beat the Netherlands, which put Ireland on course for qualification for the 2002 World Cup. McAteer headed home back to Tranmere Rovers in a role as assistant manager with former Liverpool teammate John Barnes as manager. Unfortunately, after a terrible start to the season left Tranmere with only 7 points from 11 games, the duo were sacked on the 9th October 2009.

Return to top

this is a photo of  Alan Mahon

1995 - 2000
2009 - 2011

Alan Joseph Mahon, who was educated at St. James Street Christian Brothers Secondary School in the Irish capital, joined English Football League club Tranmere Rovers in 1995. In five years at the club, Mahon made a total of 144 appearances, scoring fourteen goals. He played in the 2000 football League Cup Final as Tranmere lost 2-1 to Leicester City at the old Wembley on 27 February 2000. On 4 July 2000 he moved to Portugal, joining Portuguese Liga club Sporting Club De Portugal on a free transfer On the 6th July 2009 he signed a three-year contract with former club Tranmere Rovers. He scored his first goal for Tranmere in a 3-2 defeat against Walsall on 12 September 2009. Mahon made his international debut on 26 April 2000 as a 54th-minute substitute in a 1-0 friendly defeat to Greece at Lansdowne Road, Dublin. On 11 June he played in another friendly, a 2-1 win over South Africa in New York, USA. Alan left Tranmere rovers on 21st July 2011 after his contract was terminated.

Return to top

this is a photo of Joe Murphy
2002 - 2009

Joe Murphy began his career at Tranmere Rovers before joining West Brom in July 2002. Murphy is a former member of the Republic of Ireland national under 21 football team. Murphy enjoyed a good set of performances during the 2008/2009 season. He put in a number of stunning performances but never caught the eye of Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trappatonni due to playing in the third tier. Murphy's performance in the Coca-Cola League 1 Play-Off Semi-Final helped the team proceed to the final due to him keeping a clean sheet in 120 minutes and saving three penalties in the following shootout. Despite this performance Murphy didn't perform his best during the final, he conceded two goals in which he was at fault, one he strayed off his line too far and was lobbed and the other he spilt an easy save. Murphy's contract was to end at the end of the 2008/2009 season and there was much speculation as to where his future lay; many reports suggested that he would be moving to a much bigger club to gain international football for Ireland. This speculation was ended when he signed a one year contract extension with the Iron and this will extend to 2011 if the Iron can remain in the Coca-Cola Championship. He told local newspapers that he signed the new deal because "He owed the club for all it has done for him." He was selected as a member of the League One team of the year for the 2008/2009 football team.

Return to top

this is a photo of Liam O' Brien Liam

Liam O'Brien found himself surplus to requirements as Newcastle rejoined the top flight and subsequently made a £350,000 move to Tranmere Rovers after a successful loan period. After Tranmere, he signed for Cork City, where he played in the UEFA Cup. He now on the coaching staff at Sligo Rovers. Now Assistant Manager at Bray Wanderers.

Return to top

This is a photo of George O' Challaghan George O'Callaghan
1994 - 1996

George Paul O'Callaghan, Jr started his career with Port Vale in 1995, he made 41 appearances for the club before joining Cork City in 2002. He spent five years at his home town club, making 150 league appearances. This was followed by a return to English football with Ipswich Town, before a brief return to Cork in 2008. In the summer of 2008 he signed with Tranmere Rovers, before brief spells with Dundalk and Yeovil Town in 2009.
After only half a season at Cork City, it was announced on 9 July that O'Callaghan, along with ex-teammate Bas Savage, had joined Tranmere Rovers on a two year contract. However on 13 February 2009, O'Callaghan had his contract cancelled by Tranmere Rovers after suffering personal problems and failing to settle at the club. Returning to his native Ireland, O'Callaghan signed for Dundalk in February 2009. It was clarified that he had left the club by May.

Return to top

this is a photo os Sean Thornton Sean
2001 - 2002

Sean Thornton began his career with Football league Second Division club Tranmere Rovers for whom he made 13 appearances in the 2001–02 season. He was out of contract in summer 2002 and joined Premier League side Sunderland in July 2002, for a fee of £225,000 agreed at tribunal, amid allegations by Tranmere that Sunderland had breached FA and Football League regulations by making an illegal approach for Thornton, for which Sunderland were later fined £1,500. Thornton captained the Irish under 21s during his Sunderland days. Like most Irish players of talent he fell out with Don Givens and was axed from the squad. He has since never featured for his country, while more one-paced players have triumphed. Ironically he was replaced at Sunderland during McCarthy's successful season by Liam Lawrence, a player with Thornton's bleached blonde hair, his playboy lifestyle and his accurate delivery, but a player miles away in terms of potential. Lawrence has now begun to cement a place on the Irish International team while Irish fans have forgotten about Thornton's talent as he has languished in the lower echelons of the English League. Some pundits predict that a run of injury free football could see Thornton emerge from the wilderness and become a true star. With every year the odds on this grow longer. Joined DroghedaUnited in 2014.

Return to top


William "Billy" Woods is an Irish former professional Football player. He joined Tranmere Rovers in July 1995. After plying his trade there he returned to Ireland and signed for Portadown for one season in 1997. Woods signed for Shamrock Rovers in 1998 His last game for the club was against Galway United on 31 March 2002. After Richardson left the club at the end of the 2002 season, Woods rejoined his hometown club. Woods won the League of Ireland Championship in November 2005. Cork City beat Derry City 2–0 on 18 November 2005 to secure the title in the last game of the season. Woods agreed to stay with Cork City for another year in February 2007. Once again, he signed a part-time contract with the club so as to dovetail his job as car salesman with training and playing for City. In February 2008 he signed a new contract to remain at Cork City, but retired in October 2008. In June 2010, Billy returned to play for Cork City. He made 14 appearances for City that season and was appointed as First Team Coach in December 2010.

Return to top

1993 -1994

Thomas "Tommy" Coyne is a Scottish-born former international footballer who played for the Republic of Ireland due to his Irish ancestry.
Coyne again failed to reproduce his form at the start of his Celtic career and did not score for the remainder of the season. The following season was also hardly a success, with 7 goals in 23 games. The next season, 1990-1 saw Coyne revert to his previous form with 18 goals in 26 games, as he finished the season as top scorer. Despite scoring 15 goals in the following season and 3 in 10 games at the start of the 1992-3 season, Coyne was transferred to Tranmere Rovers in March 1993. After a short spell in England, Coyne returned to Scotland to join Motherwell in November 1993 for £125,000.

Return to top


Farren began his football career with a largely unsuccessful period, throughout which he was dogged by injury, in the youth setup at Tranmere Rovers. He also played for  Derry City, Glenavon. Farren died of cancer on 3 February 2016 aged 33.

Return to top

this is a photo og Gavin Gunning Gavin
September 2009

-November 2009
Gavan Gunning was on loan from Blackburn Rovers he was signed by John Barnes in September 2009. When John Barnes was sacked Blackburn recalled him. He played six matches for Tranmere. Having represented Ireland at Under-19 level, he made Under-21 debut against Georgia in a UEFA under 21 qualifiers on 9 October 2009.

Return to top

June 2012-July 2012

The 30-year old will join the Club ahead of the 2012-13 season with his contract coming into effect on 1st July. Burgess began his career at Blackburn Rovers where he made his first team debut. He joined Stockport County for £400,000 in 2002 and moved to Hull City a year later. He played for Blackpool for four seasons before joining Notts County in 2010 and at the end of 2011-12 he spent time on loan at Cheltenham Town, helping them reach the League 2 Play Off final. In total he has scored 86 goals in 361 appearances. Manager Ronnie Moore said: "I'm delighted that Ben will be signing for us, we beat off several other clubs to secure his signature."He's big and strong and has an impressive strike rate for a target man."He'll lead the line for us, he'll cause defenders problems and he'll create chances for others."I watched him a few times for Cheltenham and Notts County at the end of the season and he did really well."Ben is the first of many new faces we'll have this summer and hopefully we'll have some more over the next few days and weeks. His Contrac was Canceled on July 31st 2012 as he chose to retired due to injuries to his knees

Return to top

January 2013 - June 2013
(Loan from Sheffield wednesday)

Corry grew up in Castleknock, Dublin, and attended Belvedere College. Corry has represented his country at various underage levels as well as being selected for the Republic of Ireland U-23 squad. The talented midfielder combined a footballing career with a degree in Commerce during his 3 years at University College Dublin. Corry was a member of the successful Belvedere side alongside the likes of Matt Doherty and Craig Sexton who won the FAI Umbro Under-17 Cup in 2009 by beating Kilmallock United.The young midfielder has been on the books of University College Dublin since 2009 having joined the club from schoolboy side Belvedere. Corry re-signed for UCD for the 2012 season, and overall has made 105 appearances for the club, including 10 goals. Corry scored his first goal of the 2012 season away to Shelbourne, his 25-yard screamer snatching a win for UCD. He was then called up to the Republic of Ireland U-21 side for the 2013 UEFA Euro U-21 Championship qualifier against Turkey U-21, however he did not make an appearance for the national side

Return to top

John Thompson
2 loans

Born in Dublin, Thompson started his career playing for his local team Rivervalley Rangers. At 14 years old, he joined top Dublin schoolboy club Home Farm. While at the Dublin club he represented the Republic of Ireland Under-15 team on 15 occasions. He progressed to the Republic Under-16 team and won the UEFA European Under-17 Football Championshipin Scotland in 1998, playing right-back against Italy in the final.In 2006, Thompson joined Tranmere Rovers on loan and worked under Ronnie Moore where he made 14 appearances in two successful loan periods. 

Return to top


McGinty was born in Maidstone, Kent. He spent three years in the youth setup at Charlton Athletic before moving toManchester United in July 2009. He progressed through the youth academy and was part of the side that won the 2010–11 FA Youth Cup, before signing a pro contract in the summer of 2011. He was sent out on loan to Tranmere Rovers on the emergency loan deadline day on 28 March 2013. After being sent back to Old Trafford due to a breach of discipline for failing to show up for training, McGinty had the distinction of being the last player to have his contract terminated during the reign of Alex Ferguson. On his release from the Red Devils, 


Gerry was born in DublinAfter two years playing at the Nottingham Forest academy, McDonagh made his professional debut as an 80th-minute substitute during a 2–1 loss against Cardiff City on 29 August 2015. In July 2016, McDonagh joined National League side Wrexham on an initial one-month loan deal as cover for the injured Jordan White. McDonagh showed his delight at the prospect of playing first-team football, claiming the loan would be "a good experience as a young player coming in from Nottingham Forest". He has represented Ireland at under 19s level. He joined Tranmere Rover on a month loan from Nottingham Forrest.

Return to top

Photo Name and Year Information

(January 2011 - 2013

The 26-year old joins from his home town club Derry City where he has spent the last three seasons. McChrystal began his career at Wolverhampton Wanderers and has also spent time at Partick Thistle. He has been capped by Northern Ireland under-21s three times. He spent two weeks on trial at Prenton Park earlier this season. Manager Les Parry said: "We brought Mark in the two weeks at the end of October when he trained with us and played in a couple of friendlies. "He is an experienced player who was with Wolves for a number of years. He is a leader, he talks and is the type of player other players will look up to.

Return to top


(January 2011 - June 2011)

The 25-year old from Derry joined Ipswich Town in 2001 and signed for Scottish Premier League side Hibernian three years later. He was set to sign for Queens Park Rangers in 2006 but the move was hit by injury and he went on to join Derry City a year later. Morrow left Derry in January to sign for Coleraine and joined Rovers on trial last week. He has been capped by Northern Ireland at under-21 level. Manager Les Parry said: "I'm delighted to bring Sam to the Club as I've been following him for a while. "He's a classy striker who knows where the goal is. He has a good attitude, is keen to do well and will be a great addition to our squad."

Return to top

1930 - 1932

Born in Belfast, Kennedy played as a youth for Belfast Celtic before joining Glentoran in 1915. He moved to England in 1920, joining London side Crystal Palace in 1920; he played a solitary Division Three South game for them before moving across the city to join Arsenal as a reserve full back in August 1922. Andrew Lynd "Andy" Kennedy only played two more matches for Arsenal, both of them heavy defeats (5-1 and 4-0). Displeased with his team's defence, Chapman had a clearout at Arsenal, and Kennedy was sold to Everton in January 1928. In all, Kennedy had played 129 matches for Arsenal. Everton won the First Division championship that season but Kennedy was only a reserve player that season. After a solitary League appearance for Everton, he moved on to Tranmere Rovers.. A regular in his first campaign at Prenton Park as the club finished just short of promotion, he dropped out of the first-team picture the following season, leaving the club in August 1932. He died in 1963, aged 66.

Return to top


(February 2011 - 2012

The 22-year old joined Sunderland at the age of 16 from Northern Irish side Larne and has spent the past five seasons at the Stadium of Light. After progressing through the Black Cats' youth system he was a regular in their reserves last season and went on loan to York City earlier in 2010-11.He has represented Northern Ireland at under-21 level and spent the last week training with Rovers.Manager Les Parry said: "I'm really pleased Robbie has joined us for the rest of the season."We're short of cover in midfield and Robbie will give us extra options at a time when we've got a lot of games. He can also play at right back and having someone who can play in more than one position is a real bonus to us. He'll bring us that extra bit of quality."I'd like to thank Sunderland manager Steve Bruce for allowing Robbie to join us."

Return to top

June 2012

Tranmere Rovers have today signed goalkeeper Jason Mooney on a one year contract. The 23-year old joins Rovers after a successful trial period with the Club.He kept clean sheets in the friendly wins over Cammell Laird and Heswall and has impressed the coaching staff in training.Mooney, from Northern Ireland, played for Ards, Bangor, Ards Rangers and Comber Rec before joining Wycombe Wanderers last season.He spent the whole of 2011-12 on loan at Oxford City where he was named player of the season by supporters after helping the club gain promotion to the Blue Square North and conceding the fewest goals in the Evo-Stik Southern League. Manager Ronnie Moore said: “I’ve been really pleased with Jason in pre-season. “He’s vocal, dominates his area, is a good shot stopper and he’s an imposing figure at six foot nine “He’ll provide good back up for Owain Fon Williams and I’m happy he’s agreed to join us.”

Return to top


Bryan Hamilton is a Northern Irish former professional football player and manager. He gained 50 caps for Northern Ireland between 1969 and 1980, and later managed the national team for four years. He is currently Technical Director at Antigua Barracuda F.C. Hamilton was appointed manager of Northern Ireland in 1994, succeeding Billy Bingham. In the Euro 96 qualifiers, Northern Ireland were in contention for qualification and were only narrowly pipped into second place by the Republic of Ireland. The 1998 World Cup qualifiers provided a far worse return despite a promising early draw with Germany - who would later beat Northern Ireland for the first time in two decades – and Hamilton left the job at the end of the qualifiers. In April 2000 he was appointed manager of Norwich City, but resigned on 4 December. He returned to Ipswich as coach in 2001, but left the club in 2002. In November 2006, he was appointed Technical Director of the Antigua and Barbuda Football Association.

Return to top

January - June 2015

Tranmere Rovers signed Swansea City striker Rory Donnelly on loan for the 214-15 season. Swansea beat off competition from Everton to sign the 22-year from Cliftonville in 2012 after he scored 22 goals in 55 games for the Northern Irish side. He has made two first team appearances for Swansea, including a start against Petrolul Ploiesti in the Europa League. He score 5 goals for Tranmere. He picked up the Player of the month award for  January. he returned to Swansea at the end of the season.

Return to top

2nd January 2015 - 1st June 2018

Tranmere signed Jeff Hughes on loan from League Two side Cambridge United until the end of the 2015-16 season. He signed for tranmere the following season,

Return to top

20th August 2018 -
1st January 2019
Luke joined Tranmere on a 6 month loan from Doncaster Rovers/
Photo Name and Year Information
1939 - 1946

Joshua Walter "Paddy" Sloan was an Irish Footballer and manager. His widely travelled career took Sloan to twenty different clubs in five different countries, including Northern Ireland, England, Italy, Malta and Australia. As a player, played for both Ireland teams – the IFA XI and the FAI XI. Sloan pioneered the way for the likes of Liam Bready and Robbie Keane by becoming the first Irishman to play in Serie A. On 24 May 1939, at the age of 19, he was transferred to Tranmere Rovers for a fee of £500. During the second World War, Sloan would return to United as a guest player. After signing for Tranmere Rovers, Sloan made his debut for the club against Rotherham United on 26 August 1939. However, shortly afterwards, the Second World War broke out and Sloan joined the RAF. He was subsequently stationed in Canada, where he became a sergeant-pilot. Throughout the war, Sloan remained a Tranmere Rovers player and between 1939 and 1946, he made 22 wartime league appearances and scored 15 goals for the club. However, Sloan's RAF duties took him all over the country and during the course of the war, he made frequent guest appearances for other clubs. He made one league appearance for Millwall during the 1942-43 season, before then guesting for Manchester United. The 1944-45 season saw him make 11 league appearances and score six goals for Fulhm. During the same season, he also played regularly for Bath City and his 18 goals helped them win the League West Cup in 1945. During the 1945-46 season, he made six league appearances and scored four goals for Brentford in the Football League South and then went to Germany on tour with the club. This had been without the consent of his parent club, Tranmere Rovers. At the end of the second World War, Tranmere Rovers were expecting Sloan to return to them. However, his wartime guest appearances had attracted the interest of several clubs including Manchester United, his former club, and Arsenal. Sloan eventually walked out on Tranmere and, in May 1946, he signed for the latter club. When Sloan began his international career in 1945, there were, in effect, two Ireland teams, chosen by two rival associations. Both associations, the Northern Ireland based IFA and the Republic of Ireland based FAI, claimed jurisdiction over the whole of Ireland and selected players from the whole island. As a result, several notable Irish players from this era, including Sloan, played for both teams.

Return to top


Paddy. Moore was a duel international and played for both Ireland teams – the FAI XI and the IFA XI.
In February 1934 Moore scored four goals for the FAI XI in a world cup qualifier against Belgium. As a result he became the first player ever to score four goals in a World Cup game. However injury and alcoholism combined to blight both his career and life and he was only 41 when he died. In September 2006 Moore was posthumously honoured by Shamrock Rovers at their Legends Ball. As a youth Moore played for several teams including Richmond Rovers before joining shamrock Rovers for the first of three spells. In 1929 at the age of 19 he signed for Cardiff City, but made only one appearance. After brief spells with both Mertyr Town and Tranmere Rovers he then returned to Shamrock Rovers. During the 1931-32 season he helped Rovers win both the League of Ireland championship and the League of Ireland Shield. He also helped Rovers win the FAI Cup in both 1931 and 1932, scoring in both finals. When Moore began his international career in 1931 there were, in effect, two Ireland teams, chosen by two rival associations. Both associations, the Northern Ireland based IFA and the Irish Free State based FAI claimed jurisdiction over the whole of Ireland and selected players from the whole island. As a result several notable Irish players from this era, including Moore, played for both teams.

Return to top



Thomas Joseph Eglington (15 January 1923 – 18 February 2004) was an Irish footballer who played as an outside-left for, among others, Shamrock Rovers, Everton, and Tranmere Rovers. Eglington was also adual international and played for both Ireland teams – the FAI XI nad the IFA XI. In June 1957 Eglington signed for Tranmere Rovers and three months later he was followed there by Peter Farrell. He spent three seasons at Rovers making 172 league appearances and scoring 36 goals. He also played a further 9 games and scored a further 4 goals for Rovers in the FA Cup. In August 1959 Eglington scored a hat-trick for Rovers in a 5-1 win over Accrington Stanley In 1961 Eglington signed for Cork Hibernians.

Return to top


Peter Desmond Farrell (16 August 1922 – 16 March 1999) was an Irish footballer who played as a right-half for, among others, Shamrock Rovers, Everton and Tranmere Rovers. As an international, Farrell also played for both Ireland teams – the FAI XI and the IFA XI In 1949 he was a member of the FAI XI that defeated England 2-0 at Goodison Park, becoming the first non-UK team to beat England at home. Farrell’s playing career followed a similar path to that of Tommy Eglington. As well as teaming up at international level, they also played together at three different clubs. Farrell left Everton in October 1957 and followed Tommy Eglington to Tranmere Rovers where he became player-manger. He played 114 league games for Tranmere, before leaving in December 1960. After a spell as manager at Sligo Rovers, Farrell became manager of Holyhead Town and, helped by a number of former Everton and Tranmere players, he guided them to the Welsh League North title. After leaving Holyhead, he returned to Ireland and managed St Patrick’s Athletic. He also managed his own insurance business.
When Farrell began his international career in 1946 there were, in effect, two Ireland teams, chosen by two rival associations. Both associations, the Northern Ireland- based IFA and the Republic of Ireland- based FAI claimed jurisdiction over the whole of Ireland and selected players from the whole island. As a result several notable Irish players from this era, including Farrell, played for both teams.

Return to top



Thomas Lawrence Davis (3 February 1911 – 1987), commonly referred to as Tom Davis and Tommy Davis, is a former Irish association football who played as a centre forward for several clubs in the League of Ireland and the English Football League. Davis was also a dual international footballer —playing for both the republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland, scoring a total of five goals in five caps. He was born in Dublin. Mid-way through the 1937-38 season Davis signed for Tranmere Rovers and his return of six goals in ten matches helped push the club to the English Third Division North title, and promotion to the English second Division for the first time in the club’s history. At the outbreak of the Second World War, Davis returned to the league of Ireland, playing with Cork City, Drumcondra and Shelburne. When Davis began his international career in 1936 there were, in effect, two Ireland teams, chosen by two rival associations. Both associations, the Northern Ireland- based IFA and the Irish Free State based FAI claimed jurisdiction over the whole of Ireland and selected players from the whole island. As a result several notable Irish players from this era, including Davis, played for both teams.

Return to top


Born in Mullinavat. Played 3 games for Tranmere Rovers during the war. Matt O'Mahoney was an Irish footballer who played for, among others, Bristol Rovers and Ipswich Town. O'Mahoney was a dual international and played for both Ireland teams – the FAI XI and the IFA XI. When O'Mahoney began his international career in 1938 there were, in effect, two Ireland teams, chosen by two rival associations. Both associations, the Northern Ireland – based IFA and the Irish Free State – based FAI claimed jurisdiction over the whole of Ireland and selected players from the whole island. As a result, several notable Irish players from this era, including O'Mahoney, played for both teams. Between 1938 and 1939 O'Mahoney played 6 times for the FAI XI. He made his first two appearances for the FAI XI in May 1938 during a European tour. On 18 May he played in a 2–2 draw with Czechoslovakia and then on 22 May he played in a 6–0 defeat against Poland. The highlight of his international career came during his third game against Switzerland on 18 September 1938. O'Mahoney earned the unusual distinction of becoming the first FAI XI international to fly in for a home game. He arrived from Bristol only an hour before kick-off, but proceeded to play superbly, helping the FAI XI to a 4–0 win. On 13 November 1938 he played in a winning FAI XI for the second time when he helped them beat Poland 3–2 in another home game. O'Mahoney made his final two appearances for the FAI XI in May 1939 during another European tour, helping them to 2–2 and 1–1 draws with Hungary and Germany respectively. These were the last two internationals that the FAI XI played before the start of the Second World War. O'Mahoney made his 1 and only appearance for the IFA XI on 8 November 1938 in a 2–0 defeat against Scotland at Windsor Park. He had earned an IFA XI call up after his impressive performance for the FAI XI against Switzerland the previous month. He was the only debutant on the day and his team mates included fellow dual internationalists Tommy Breen, Jackie Brown, Jimmy McAlinden and Alex Stevenson.

Return to top

MOTTO: UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR which means "Where there is faith, there is light and strength."

Designed by Ned O'Toole, Paul Harmon and Oisín Ronan.
Special thanks to Tranmere Rovers Football club for the information.